One of the biggest advantages of owning a local business – is being a local business! There’s a beauty and charm about mom and pop enterprises that consumers crave. Plus, the shop local movement has gained such momentum in the past few years, people are now making a conscious decision to seek out local mom and pops.
So take advantage of your stature and prepare for a successful celebration of National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day. Here are seven tips for owning the day!
1. Start posting photos (and videos!) of yourself on social media. Identify yourself as the owner and give your posts a conversational tone. If it’s a family business, be sure to include everyone in the project. Let people know that you are not just trying to sell them something; let them know you’re vested in the community!
2. Redo the “About Us” page on your website by beefing up your back story. Include family photos and your history within your community. People love to hear multi-generation stories and sentimental tales of how you got the original idea for your business from your grandmother.
3. Create a prominent sign for inside your store, “Proud to be a locally-owned business.” You can even add the organizations you support. Then use the tag wherever you can: on receipts, in your newsletter, on your website – even on your price tags.
4. Identify a local community organization and create a partnership. It can be a school, a charity or other non-profit serving your community. As part of the Mom and Pop Business Owners Day celebration, hold a fundraiser (it can even be virtual on social media), host an event, or promote them through your newsletter or blog. Let customers know you are a contributing member of your community.
5. Pitch a story about your business to a local business or community blogger.
6. Hold a “Mom and Pop Business Owners Day” promotion, sale, event or giveaway. Invite your community partners, local influencers and guests to come celebrate ---you!
You've got a few weeks to plan so make it a great one. Let me know what you plan to do in the comments below.
Until next time remember,
You can do this!